Friday, October 9, 2015

James Spader


Unlike my previous post under this label, I believe after this actor's recent popular television series (and his previous television work, as well as his voice-over in Avengers: Age of Ultron), most of you will realize who this deeply talented actor is without question, as well as recognize him as the cunning, loyal, and deeply complex "Raymond 'Red' Reddington" of The Blacklist; the crafty, ingenious, and resourceful "Alan Shore" of Boston Legal; the perpetually honest, moral, and unyielding "Tim Gerrity" of True Colors; the young, hurting, but resilient "Max Baron" of White Palace; the open, devious, but irresistible "Graham Dalton" of Sex, Lies, and Videotape; the irritating, ambitious, bottom-kisser "Richards" of Mannequin; or the pompous, spoiled, and arrogant "Steff" of Pretty in Pink.

But would you recognize him as "Lee Woods," or "Mr. Grey" (Hint: not the Mr. Grey from the racy, but entertaining, love story series 50 Shades of Grey)?

SPOTLIGHTED FILMS
  • 2 Days in the Valley, 1996 - "Lee Woods"
Even though he's a megalomaniac killer, I get the chills...or better yet, the tingles...the "wow, this is so cool" tingles, each time Mr. Woods hits the button on his stopwatch, right after he announces, "You have one minute to decide the rest of your life." Aside from Spader's character and performance, the rest of the interweaving plot lines and eccentric characters offer a pretty entertaining, hilarious ride through forty-eight hours of dark comedy.

  • Secretary, 2002 - "Mr. Grey"
After reading the 50 Shades of Grey novels, I am wondering if the author did not borrow some of the structure for her "Christian Grey" character from Spader's "Mr. Grey," because based on habits and personal, private entertainment, they resemble each other's uncommon tastes. Despite the complexities of Spader's "Mr. Grey," he captures the character's verbally unexpressed emotions and thoughts with simple, well-planned expressions, slight eye movements, and random behaviors.

I watched this movie relatively young, inexperienced and naive about the psychological obstacles producing "sporadic cutting" or about the hidden world of taboo and specific sexual desires; however, by the end of the movie, I felt so close to "Mr. Grey," rooting for his happiness, praying he would relinquish his stubbornness and allow "Miss Holloway" into his life, that I would not have found it surprising for me to stand beside "Miss Holloway"--cheering her on, providing support to remain steadfast until he broke--while she sat at his desk in a wedding dress, waiting, hoping, attempting to prove her loyalty...her support...her understanding...and ultimately her love for a man who needed these things expressed in a very non-traditional manner.

I cannot mention the Secretary, without sharing the spotlight with Maggie Gyllenhaal's stellar and complicated performance as "Lee Holloway." The wedding dress scene mentioned above has forever burned itself into my consciousness, and sometimes I find myself asking myself in the darker parts of my mind, when I am out, courting a prospective mate..."Would she become a desk bride for me?"


So if you are a James Spader fan, and you have not seen these two well-crafted and performed films, I suggest you do so at your earliest convenience...because, remember, I have my thumb hovering over my stopwatch...

For James Spader's Full Filmography, Visit IMBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment