Thursday, July 9, 2015

Ingrid Michaelson


Singer, Songwriter

Based on the types of musicians and musical styles I discuss at work, which I do rather often (because I constantly break out into poorly rendered song refrains when something sparks my musical memory, yearning for my life to transform into a musical where people burst into song when I experience deep emotions or simply enter a room, dancing on desks, running and gyrating over stairs, eloquently summarizing the events or conflicts in my life in verse), a friend of mind suggested this redheaded beauty's music, and for this random, yet conscious, effort to better my life, I am eternally grateful; this friend has secured in me a faithful fan for life. 

Ingrid Michaelson's voice embodies subtle passion, soothing without effort; her lyrics force thoughtful reflection; and her arrangements allow relaxation, even when tempo quickens. Despite her work's moderate popularity, she herself remains an obscure reference in popular music, unless of course, you have already discovered the B-sides of this talented singer and songwriter, burning her name forever into your mind's playlist. It is hard to label her style or genre (which I find difficult to do for many types of art because of talented-blurring-blending artists and from a hesitation to ever set limitations) because she skillfully meshes folk and light rock with pop-ish cords and lyrics. Her albums are complete listens, which isn't surprising, because her addictive voice will soon become your ears' candy.

DISCOGRAPY - RELEASED SINGLES

Slow the Rain (2005) (I have yet to procure a copy of this album)
Girls and Boys (2006) - The Way I Am
Be OK (2008) - Be OK
Everybody (2009) - Maybe; Soldier (unreleased but owns cult status)
Human Again (2012) 
Lights Out (2014) - Girls Chase Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment