Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Chronicles of Narnia


1950-1956 (published) ; C. S. Lewis

With seven novels in the series, these stories revolve around a fictitious land--Narnia, its lion creator and protector--"Aslan," and the lucky children who are transported to this land during a time of need, usually juxtaposing the chosen children's personal-life conflicts or undesired personality traits with Narnia's political struggles. Magic, mythological creatures, and talking animals reign in Narnia, and though evil appears to win in some instances, good always prevails when the heroes and heroines of each novel demonstrate loyalty, compassion, courage, patience, humbleness, and various other desired qualities.

Adapted several times, in whole or in part, for radio, stage, television, and film, The Chronicles of Narnia still bring magic, wonder, and a sense of "home" to children and adults throughout the world. I can remember each and every time I read or reread one of these novels as a child (having read each one at least 15 times each throughout my life-time), and how I didn't even care that I originally was reading them out of order, because as soon as I got my hands on a copy of one of these stories (my grade school library never owned a complete set and I had to always keep an eye out in every book-related opportunity, for I was too young to use the public library by myself when I was first introduced to this series), I had to read it, immediately.  

As an adult, I love these stories even more, especially since they present wholesome, entertaining, and adventurous reading for young adults, deeply laden with allusions to classic stories, mythologies, and oral traditions.

My favorite book of the series is The Silver Chair, and my favorite character from the series is also in this novel, "Puddleglum," a pessimist with a voice of reason, written as an "uncommonly cheerful marsh-wiggle." My other favorite characters include, of course, "Aslan," the creator and protector of Narnia; "Reepicheep," a courageous and extremely loyal mouse who doesn't let his size hold him back from his dreams; "Eustance Clarence Scrubb," one of the boys who enters Narnia in the later novels; "Trumpkin," a dwarf who befriends and shows resolute loyalty to Lucy; "Tumnus," a faun who also shows Lucy friendship and loyalty; and, which might be surprising to some (although I frequently love well-written antagonists), "Jadis; the White Witch," appearing in each of the stories in a different form of evil (because without her, the stories would not have a catalyst.)

These novels have forever changed the way I feel each time I choose an article of clothing in my closet, wondering if this time, if this is my lucky moment, that a magical world of wonder will open up to me just beyond my slacks and collared shirts; these novels have transformed the way I view art, questioning each time I pass a painting of an ocean or any other which captivates me, what I would do if I suddenly heard the splashes of water, smelled the sun shining off its waves, or caught a faint voice from inside the frame calling to me; these novels have made me take a second look at every animal I've come across since first reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, hoping to hear one speak to me, letting me know that I was chosen, chosen for adventure, chosen for my need.

Here's a list of the entire series; although written and published non-chronologically, this list presents them in the storyline's timeline:
  1. The Magician's Nephew
  2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
  3. The Horse and His Boy
  4. Prince Caspian
  5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  6. The Silver Chair
  7. The Last Battle

No comments:

Post a Comment