Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Greatest Characters Ever Written 7; Great Performances - My Generation 8


"Severus Snape" ; Alan Rickman ; Harry Potter Series, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011

"Your sister doubts me. Over the years I've played my part well, so well I've deceived one of the greatest wizards of all time."

I'll admit it...I watched the first two Harry Potter films before I selfishly perused the novel series, so my perceptions of Severus Snape were already pre-contaminated by Alan Rickman's performance. Due to Rickman's undeniably masterful performance of the complicated and emotionally stunted "Snape," when I first approached the novels I already had an inclination Snape's character owned a deeper, more emotional, connection to Harry than what was depicted in the films. The first time I read each of the novels in the series, I remember ferociously turning each page, desperately hoping a "Snape" storyline would materialize...and as I continued to read, the novel "Snape" and the screen "Snape" magically merged into one amazing and forever unforgettable character. Now I know J.K. Rowling and her brilliant mind created "Snape," but Rickman brought him to life, and I will forever be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment