Friday, February 12, 2021

Most Wanted Posters - Friday


Jessica Rabbit. Ariel. Mary Jane Watson. Poison Ivy. Daphne. Wilma Flintstone. Amy Pond...this list could go on and on.

This picture first got me thinking about distinguished red-haired characters in film, literature, and television, and then I realized there isn't as many notable male red-haired characters as there is female. I found this very interesting. Is it because as a society we have different connotations, or perceptions, of red-haired males vs. females? I believe we see males with red hair as mostly clumsy, less intelligent, possibly less attractive, but we view females with red hair as graceful, alluring, and exotic. I searched for contradictions to this view, but the only examples I've discovered affirm this hypothesis: Ron Weasley, Archie, Chuckie Finster (from Rugrats, not to be confused with the homicidal doll, which also has red hair) vs. Jessica Rabbit, Ariel, Mary Jane Watson, Poison Ivy, Daphne, Wilma Flintsonte, Amy Pond, and so on and so on. 

I don't know how or why I do it, but my mind is always spinning about new theories, searching for new world views or filters to evaluate my life and the lives of those around me, and I find it very comforting that this simple picture above made me realize another unrecognized prejudice we might all hold. I don't blame myself for the influences of my past or the world around me, as long as I am always trying to notice them as I interact with people of my current world and strive to not let them affect my words or actions. But if I hadn't come across the above picture and followed this train of thought, I might have continued to mistreat the red-haired people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment