Sunday, May 1, 2022

Famous Quotes 24


“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”

Oscar Wilde

I think people believe forgiving is supposedly divine, but I tend to lean toward forgetting, or more likely overlooking (with my infuriating memory and it's ability to remain connected to past emotions), the transgressions of the people I care about and simply forget about the people I despise (or even their past acknowledged existence) or could care less about occupying space and time in any aspect of my life. 

Since I'm not one to have enemies (although, I'm positive others view me as theirs), and do not seek minor satisfaction upsetting other people, subscribing to forgetfulness is much more useful to me. Mr. Wilde's quip is very witty, humorous even, but I believe actually forgetting people exist is a much stronger, yet passive, rebuke than simply being the better person: not even recognizing their annoyance at your dismissiveness has to infuriate them even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment