Sunday, January 10, 2016

Great Performances - My Generation 14


"Mr. (John) Keating" ; Robin Williams ; Dead Poets Society, 1989

"O Captain, my Captain. Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue? It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincoln. Now in this class you can either call me Mr. Keating, or if you're slightly more daring, O Captain my Captain."

This magical and beautiful movie and the effects Mr. Keating and his love for words, thinking, and a turn of phrase had on the students of his classroom were extremely strong influences on my decision to share myself with the world as a teacher...because no matter how people and society, politics, and legislation attempt to fog, cloud, or muddy the relationships between learning, a student, and a teacher, there still is nothing more magical in this world than seeing the light of understanding ignite behind someone's eyes...no matter at what age.

No comments:

Post a Comment